Associate Director at the Aspen Institute
Location: New York, United States
About the Aspen Institute
The Aspen Institute is a global nonprofit organization committed to realizing a free, just, and equitable society. Since its founding in 1949, the Institute has been driving change through dialogue, leadership, and action to help solve the most critical challenges facing communities in the United States and around the world. Headquartered in Washington, DC, the Institute has a campus in Aspen, Colorado, and an international network of partners.
The Aspen Institute Business & Society Program (Aspen BSP) is a policy program of the Aspen Institute. Our mission is to align business decisions with the long-term health of society. Our vision is a world in which everyone prospers from business success.
About the role
Aspen BSP seeks a visionary, curious, and tenacious leader, with expertise and passion for corporate sustainability and strategy to manage two flagship programs designed to build the courage and capacity of changemakers in business:
The Aspen Institute Leaders Forum is a cross industry, invitation-only network of senior sustainability/ESG strategists who are working at the cutting edge of practice in a rapidly evolving profession.
The Aspen Institute First Movers Fellowship Program is a leadership development program and innovation lab for “corporate social intrapreneurs” in core business functions who are creating new products, services, practices and business models that deliver positive results for the business and society.
About the candidate
The right candidate will have passion for leadership development, community building and the integration of sustainability throughout business operations. We are looking for the person who is ready to:
- Bring the influential Leaders Forum to the next level of impact for leading sustainability professionals.
- Strengthen the membership base of the Forum to bring in more industry, demographic, and geographic diversity.
- Plan, develop and deliver creative, impactful, and innovative programs for members.
- Assume responsibility for the First Movers Fellowship Program after working closely with the director of this program through a full cycle of a fellowship year.
- Support the overall mission of the Aspen Institute Business & Society Program.
Essential Duties and Responsibilities:
- Create a 3–5-year vision for how the Leaders Forum will evolve to serve the changing needs of ESG/Sustainability professionals and maintain a competitive edge in an increasingly crowded landscape of programs seeking to serve this market.
- Update the current five-year plan of the First Movers Fellowship program in collaboration with its current director.
- Collaborate with other Aspen BSP staff to integrate the programming of the Leaders Forum and First Movers Fellowship with other BSP programs.
PROGRAM DESIGN, AGENDA DEVELOPMENT AND FACILITATION
- Produce high-quality, high-impact programming that is valued by Leaders Forum members and strengthens their engagement with the network. Content may include seminars and dialogues, “deep dives” on topics of immediate interest to members, multi-day retreats, site visits etc.
- Facilitate programs – virtually and in person.
- Co-create annual Aspen ESG Summit.
- Support the design and execution of the First Movers Fellowship and, over time, assume lead responsibility for this role.
BUSINESS DEVELOPMENT/RELATIONSHIP MANAGEMENT
- Develop and execute a plan to sustain and grow the membership in the Leaders Forum.
- Serve as primary relationship manager for all Leaders Forum members.
- Co-lead the selection process for the 2022 class of First Mover Fellows and assume full responsibility for recruiting and selecting the 2023 class.
- Raise sponsorship support for the Aspen ESG Summit.
- Publish insights from Aspen Leaders Forum and Aspen First Movers that continue to build BSP’s reputation as a thought leader in the fields of ESG, sustainability and intrapreneurship.
- Manage program budgets and oversee timely billing of Leaders Forum members and First Mover Fellows.
- Collaborate with or oversee other staff to deliver the programs. In running the Leaders Forum and First Movers Fellowship, the Associate Director will have full-time support from a senior associate and part-time support from a communications director and an events manager.
- Broad knowledge of – and passion for – corporate sustainability, ESG and social innovation within business.
- Minimum of 10 years of relevant experience.
- Successful track record growing the revenues or financial support of a program.
- Track record developing and facilitating programs that deliver lasting value for participants.
- Experience building either formal or informal communities of practice. We are especially interested in someone who has successfully scaled existing offerings.
- Team player, able to collaborate closely with complementary Aspen BSP programs in business, leadership, and business education.
- Outstanding interpersonal, oral, and written communication skills.
- Upbeat, innovative, and curious.
The Institute has implemented a mandatory COVID vaccination policy for all employees who will work at one of our physical locations, attend any of our in-person events or travel on behalf of the Institute. Staff unable to be vaccinated may request an exemption under certain circumstances.
The Aspen Institute is an Equal Opportunity Employer and complies with all District and federal laws. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, color, religion, sex, national origin, or protected veteran or disabled status and will not be discriminated against.
Candidate must have the ability to work under pressure and handle stress. Candidate must also have the ability to meet the regular attendance policy of the Aspen Institute.
How to apply
Apply through this link