Director, Conservation Finance
About The Organisation
Conservation International (CI) has been protecting nature for the benefit of all for over 30 years. Through science, policy, and partnerships, CI is helping build a healthier, more prosperous and more productive planet.
Providing sustainable economic opportunities must be at the core of successful conservation strategies.
Conservation International (CI) is seeking a Director, Conservation Finance, to work in its Conservation Finance Division. This position will work to support the partnership development and portfolio management goals of Conservation International Ventures (CI Ventures) and the Conservation Finance Division as a whole, while partnering with Conservation International Europe (CI Europe). The Director will also represent CI in the UK, building up CI’s network in Europe.
CI Ventures is an investment fund that provides loans to small- and medium-sized enterprises that operate in the forests, oceans and grasslands where Conservation International works.
CI Ventures Partnership Development
Support the CI Ventures team through leading the ongoing development of the CI Ventures Partner network, specifically in relation to:
- Managing relationships with investment partners
- Developing a pipeline of potential partners
- Explore and develop co-investment opportunities
- Leading the continued build out of the C.I. Investment Partners platform
- Exploring opportunities for the further capitalization of CI Ventures
- Exploring new product opportunities to deliver environmental impact through enterprises
- Raising the profile of CFD / CI Ventures in Europe, through internal & external communications and speaking events
CI Ventures Portfolio Management
Work with the Investment Officers to support, and leverage, our CI Ventures portfolio enterprises by:
- Identifying development needs and scaling opportunities of the underlying portfolio companies
- Leveraging CI Ventures partner network for expertise and co-investment opportunities
- Leveraging internal CI sector/industry experts to support the investee companies
Conservation Finance Partnership Development
Serve as a representative of the Conservation Finance Division & CI to explore partnership and development opportunities, including in:
- Carbon Finance
- Other nature-based solution investment opportunities, including investments relating to watersheds, catastrophe resilience, sustainable fisheries, sustainable ag, forestry etc.
- Environmental structuring opportunities (Debt for Nature Swaps, Bonds, etc.)
- Trusts & Endowments
Conservation International UK Engagement
- Monitor and participate in relevant domestic policy consultations and identify potential for public funding resources mobilization
- Build stakeholder relationships with Foundations and high net worth individuals
- Assess opportunities to engage with the UK-based corporate sector around sustainable value chains and nature based solutions
- Participate in consultations to include Natural Climate Solutions (NCS) in green growth policy frameworks to provide policy signals to invest in NCS
- Other duties as assigned by supervisor
- This position is based in the United Kingdom
- Moderate travel – up to 25% of the time.
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- 7 years of experience in finance, conservation finance, international development, or a related field
- Ability to speak and work (deliver presentations, lead discussions and training) in English
- Understanding of and demonstrated experience in finance and/or business development,
- Strong financial skills with demonstrated ability to negotiate various product offerings incl. debt and equity
- Business development and client management track record
- Experience working and/or traveling in diverse geographies
- Record of communicating investment information to varied audiences
- Graduate degree or equivalent combination of education and experience
- Ability to speak and work (deliver presentations, lead discussions and training) in German and French
To apply for this position please submit a resume and cover letter. Application Deadline: June 30, 2021 (11:49 PM EST) See all Conservation International Career Opportunities HERE
Conservation International Values
We expect that all employees will embrace the values of our organization.
- Passion: Inspired by people and by nature, we are urgently compelled to drive change for a sustainable future.
- Integrity: We are honest, transparent and accountable for our actions.
- Teamwork: We work together as one CI, recognizing that inclusion, collaboration and cooperation are fundamental to achieving a healthy and prosperous world for all.
- Respect: We respect each other and work to earn trust, valuing our diversity of cultures, talents, and experiences.
- Courage: We pursue our vision, taking bold action, persevering and overcoming challenges.
- Optimism: We are optimistic about the capacity of people to be caring, generous and brilliant, and believe that with partners, we can inspire humanity to create a better future.
Equal Opportunity Employer Minorities/Women/Vets/Disabled