Abacus is a progressive financial planning firm devoted to helping people expand what’s possible with money. We treat each other with the same level of care and respect we treat our clients – it’s why we offer unlimited vacation, flexible work hours (and location), six months of paid parental leave, and more.
We have an exciting opportunity for someone to lead our Investment Research work. If you like digging into new portfolio options, analyzing performance results, and modeling future returns – all with an environmental and/or social tilt – this could be the job for you!
Your Life as a Director of Investment Research:
- You’ll research new investment opportunities – specifically those within the social justice and ESG spaces.
- You have a keen interest in investing, ESG, and impact investing. Your passion in these areas will help keep us at the forefront of industry innovation.
- Number crunching your thing? You’ll compare the results of our multiple portfolios, model out expected returns, and analyze historical performance to ensure we have a handle on all things investment.
- You like delivering presentations – both internally to other Abacans and externally at conferences and speaking engagements.
- You’re passionate about Diversity, Equity and Inclusion and want to ensure we’re doing our part. You’ll research diverse fund managers, and ensure we find the most inclusive and diverse approach to investing when possible, and sometimes catalyze others to create funds and strategies where they don’t already exist.
- You’ll be responsible for project managing all of our investment-related work and keeping stakeholders informed and productive.
- You will report directly to our Chief Investment Officer.
- 5+ years of experience in investment research, portfolio management, or trading.
- Bachelor’s Degree in Business, Accounting, Economics, Mathematics, Science, or a related field (or a comparable background).
- A strong background in investment research is key to being successful in this role. We’re looking for someone with a quantitative background in financial modelling, as well as a broad understanding of financial economics, including knowledge of the Efficient Market Hypothesis, the Fama-French model, and material ESG risk factors.
- A deep knowledge of the ESG and impact investing industry is required. Abacus is a for-profit, purpose-driven, values-aligned B-Corporation and that extends to our investments.
- The ability to communicate clearly and effectively with gravitas comes naturally to you. We’re looking for someone who feels just as comfortable presenting portfolio recommendations to our leadership team as they do explaining complicated impact measurement concepts to staff or clients.
- If proactive and independent describe you – perfect! We’re looking for a self-starter who can prioritize projects, tackle them efficiently, and communicate effectively without being prompted.
- Do you nerd out with Excel? Expertise using Excel to run projects and analyze problems is crucial.
- The desire to manage people and processes is a must. Although you won’t have full-time reports to start – you’ll have the support of several advisors and traders who you will coordinate and oversee with respect to investment research. Additionally, we expect this role to grow and potentially involve directly managing employees. (So the ability and desire to mentor and manage is important.)
- A willingness to travel occasionally for conferences or office visits will be expected in this role.
- An understanding and appreciation of our Core Values – we hope you live and breathe them like we do.
- We’re a certified B Corp committed to people and the planet. If you dig those things, too, you belong with us!
- A designation or certification such as the Series 65 or CFP. Or you’ve passed the CFA Level 1 exam.
Icing on the Cake:
- An advanced degree in the above-mentioned disciplines is super cool.
- Prior experience managing teams and large-scale investment research projects or teams would be a huge plus.
- If you’re a CFA, that would be great.
- You know more than 95% of the people at any investment conference or webinar about ESG and impact investing. IMP, SDG’s, ISS vs. Glass Lewis, and SASB materiality are not a foreign language to you.
To apply for this position, please click HERE