Head of Operations – EAVCA
Location: Nairobi, Kenya with regional coverage
The East African Private Equity and Venture Capital Association (“EAVCA”) was founded in 2013 to represent the private equity and venture capital industry in East Africa, providing a voice for industry players and bridging the gap between public and private sector on the importance of private capital as a partner for government and business, while simultaneously building the profile of East Africa as a hub for international capital.
Through our work in advocacy, research, networking, and training, we serve as an ecosystem–builder connecting private capital to opportunities in the five markets we serve: Kenya, Uganda, Tanzania, Rwanda, and Ethiopia.
The EAVCA’s founding members are Abraaj Group, Actis, AfricInvest, Catalyst Principal Partners, Centum Investments, and TBL Mirror Fund. Since its inception EAVCA has grown to represent over 90 members, comprising private equity and venture capital firms, development finance institutions, advisory firms, and intermediaries. EAVCA also enjoys a working relationship industry partners such as the AVCA, the SAVCA, and the GPCA
About the Role at EAVCA
In light of its strategic realignment, EAVCA is seeking a talented individual to join the management team as Head of Operations. The position holder will support the Association’s Chief Executive Officer (CEO) in the implementation of the organisation objectives and will report to the Board and CEO of EAVCA.
The Association seeks a self– starter who is process driven and emphasizes client relationship management. The position holder will also be expected to be comfortable in dealing with external stakeholders including government officials, regulators, entrepreneurs, media, and public. EAVCA has a team of 3 people in Kenya and a branch office in Uganda, with plans for branch offices in Rwanda and Ethiopia.
Key deliverables and responsibilities of the Head of Operations include:
• Oversee day–to–day operations of the Association across all pillars and drive internal team to deliver to a high standard against the set objectives.
• Lead in development and oversee the implementation of internal processes and control framework (including code of conduct, leave management, member management, financial management, and stakeholder engagement).
• Support the CEO in establishing policies that promote the Association’s culture and vision.
• Alongside the CEO, manage performance by establishing clear Key Performance Indicators (“KPIs”), tracking progress against such KPIs, ensuring timely feedback, and addressing performance issues promptly
•Assist the CEO in establishing an appropriate organizational structure in line with the Association’s objectives.
• Work alongside the CEO to design and implement EAVCA’s marketing and PR campaigns which includes: Identifying and developing the optimum engagement strategies that effectively speak to EAVCA’s strategic objectives and priorities, identifying the ideal channels for brand visibility and with the right reach to the Association’s target stakeholders, adapting the use of technology platforms to deliver strategic messages and tracking stakeholder feedback.
• Manage all vendor and partner relationships, new vendor selection process, and their continuing performance evaluation.
• Lead supervision of finance and administrative team, continually monitoring the Association’s performance against budget.
• Attend Board Meetings as may be required by CEO.
• Support the CEO to ensure the association operates with good corporate governance.
• Work with the CEO in setting and realizing the Association’s annual membership targets and KPIs in line with annual budget.
• Support CEO in attracting new and retaining existing members.
• Work with CEO to periodically review and improve member benefits in line with the needs of the membership.
Networking & Training Events
• Manage the organisation of the Association’s networking and trainings calendar, including the Annual Conference, with the preparation of a financial budget and the sourcing and management of the association’s vendors for each of such events.
• Develop financing strategy for the association’s networking events – set sponsorship budget and delegate pricing in line with the overall annual budget.
• Support CEO in all fundraising efforts for the conference and other networking events.
• Review supplier contract for all EAVCA networking events and provide recommendation on course of action to the CEO thereafter.
• Oversee the training efforts including sourcing for the facilitator.
• Develop pricing model for the association’s training efforts to ensure profitability as well as high delegate attendance.
• Support the CEO in developing and monitoring the Association’s research strategic plan.
• Support CEO in continually evaluating EAVCA’s research offerings versus industry needs, trends, and peers.
• Work with the CEO to routinely review the EAVCA advocacy strategy in line with the overall objectives of the Association and in tandem with current market themes.
Ideal candidates will have experience working in a member services and/or client relationship management role, for a mid–size organisation. Other requirements include:
• Tertiary qualifications in a business–related discipline and at least five years’ experience in finance or business operations role
• Impeccable organizational skills, with the ability to prioritize and multi–task effectively
• Excellent project management skills, with digital transformation experience as a plus
• Confident, articulate, and effective communicator (verbal and written)
• Strong business analytical skills with the ability to develop high quality and focused presentations
• High level of accuracy and attention to detail
•Excellent team leading and client or member engagement skills
• Ability to work in a dynamic environment
• Ability to travel when needed within the East Africa region
• A good knowledge of the private equity asset class in general, and the investment landscape in Africa would be an advantage
How To Apply
If you believe that you are the right person to assume the position, please send your CV and cover letter with the Subject “EAVCA Head of Operations Position” to email@example.com by 22nd September 2021.