Entrepreneur in Residence, Inclusive Capital Collective [Zebras Unite Co-Op]
Status: Full-time, salaried position
Location: Remote (US-based required)
Compensation: Proportional to $100,000 full-time equivalent, plus benefits
Initial term: October 2021 – December 2021
Extended term (funding & success dependent): January 2022 or beyond. This is a grant-funded, limited-term exempt, salaried position, with the opportunity to extend on additional funding secured.
About Zebras Unite
Zebras Unite is a global movement of founders and investors creating the capital, culture, and community to power a more just and inclusive economy. The organization is a hybrid model, which includes a charitable entity (Zebras Unite.org) to advance our public and educational mission and a co-operative (Zebras Unite Co-op) to scale a suite of products and services for members and the broader ecosystem. Please see below for our current vacancies across both organizations.
Help us shape the future of the Inclusive Capital Collective! Since the initial meeting of fund operators and entrepreneurs support providers in Denver in October 2019, the Inclusive Capital Collective has grown to over 100 practitioners and allies who are deploying a range of debt, equity, and real estate instruments to support BIPOC entrepreneurs and catalyze community wealth. The Denver meeting and our subsequent work in 2020 confirmed the need and opportunity to create shared services and infrastructure for supporting a group of community-based innovators who provide critical capital and technical assistance to underserved entrepreneurs.
In 2021-22, the Inclusive Capital Collective is being incubated as a mutualistic company by Dazzle LCA, aka the Zebras Unite Co-op and is the marquee program of the capital arm of Zebras Unite Co-op in the United States. The ICC is supported financially by Zebras Unite.Org and SecondMuse Foundation who are managing major grants received for this work from the Economic Development Administration (EDA) and private philanthropy, notably the Surdna, Wells Fargo, and One Project foundations.
The Entrepreneur-in-Residence (EIR) is the second hire for the ICC, and works with the Community Manager to design and implement the initial business model of the ICC, as well as the administrative and operational systems for the organization’s sustainability as described in this concept note. The Entrepreneur-in-Residence will drive the development of the ICC products, services and business model, serving as the “ying” to the Community Manager’s “yang”.
What we look for in all team members
- Alignment with our values: we are truthful, mutualistic, fierce and emergent
- Good listening, collaboration and communication skills
- Curiosity and emotional intelligence
- Flexibility and enthusiasm to be involved in all aspects of the work, from the mundane to the sublime
- Excitement to inhabit the work at multiple scales, from grassroots solutions to systems change
The role of the Entrepreneur-in-Residence will be to work with the Community Manager to design and implement the initial business model, as well as the administrative and operational systems for the organization. Specific responsibilities include, but are not limited to, the following:
- Drive revenue strategies and create new funding streams that lead to organizational sustainability and growth, identifying financial opportunities and risks, including managing and growing the earned income aspect of the organization.
- Manage resource spending and allocation, operating within the approved budget, ensuring maximum resource utilization, maintaining a positive financial position.
- Collaborating with the Community Manager to develop and test a business model for the ICC with high-level decisions about policy and strategy.
- Oversee financial systems and fiscal activity including but not limited to budgeting, reporting, and auditing consistent with best practices and the needs of the growing cooperative.
- Documenting and sharing best practices and insights from events and working groups, and post them on the ICC website and associated social media.
- Advise on processes and protocols to make operations more efficient and responsive.
- Monitor compliance and assure legal and regulatory documents are filed and monitor compliance with laws and regulations.
- Proficient and experienced in using lean startup, human centered design and/or agile methodologies to test and build at multiple scales of a purpose driven endeavor
- Ability to manage the processes for financial forecasting, budgets, and overseeing the preparation of all financial reporting
- Demonstrated independence and initiative in bringing a client’s strategic vision to life and think about a broad range of revenue streams
- A robust network of contacts to bring in new deals and expedite current projects
- Experience and comfort working remotely and across different time zones
- Strong research, analysis and project management skills
- Adaptable: Shows a sense of urgency, high degree of personal motivation for success
- Positive professional attitude – demonstrating an ultimate desire to fulfill organizational objectives by complete customer satisfaction
- Practical experience in one or more of the following: BIPOC-owned startups, cooperative initiatives, entrepreneurship and business development, catalyzing new programs, shared power governance models, participatory design, mutual aid or solidarity efforts
- A passion and enthusiasm for shared power, cooperative governance, and economic democracy
- Strong writing and communication skills
- Comfortable working with Asana, Slack, Google Drive, Zoom, Airtable. Added bonus for proficiency in Quickbooks, Squarespace, MailChimp, Notion or other collaborative project management tools
- Experience and interest in cultivating relationships with donors and other funders
- Experience in communicating and engaging with multiple levels of stakeholders and successfully coordinating schedules and needs
- Cultural competence, experience collaborating with diverse, international and/or intersectional communities, and a commitment to inclusive, equitable practices
- Enjoys problem-solving and challenges, able to act and react as necessary, even if limited information is available, not afraid to take charge of a situation
Other helpful skills
- Experience measuring and demonstrating impact, writing case studies and communicating with funders
- Experience running webinars
- Experience running and/or presenting at conferences or convenings
- Experience working with funders and grantmakers to advance ambitious projects
- Meticulously organized self-starter with the ability to multitask and handle a wide variety of tasks while maintaining a courteous, professional manner
- You are willing and able to advocate for yourself and others, and to take an active role in the shaping of new norms, policies and processes that embody the values of the stakeholder community and Zebras Unite
- You are courteous and eager to learn new things, adept at designing your learning journey, and take agency in finding the resources, coaches and answers you need to master new subject matters, or new ways of working and collaborating
We’re a small, remote and tightly-knit team. This role will involve working with the following people
- CFO and co-founder of Zebras Unite & ICC Project Lead (Astrid Scholz)
- Community Manager, ICC (Najaah Yasmine Daniels)
- Director of Operations, Zebras Unite (Sheeza Shah)
- Managing Director and co-founder, Zebras Unite (Mara Zepeda)
Our Commitment To Diversity
We want our team to reflect the wide diversity of our community. We strongly encourage BIPOC, LGBTQ+ and candidates of different abilities to apply. We’re committed to structuring our hiring process and company to be welcoming applicants of all backgrounds.
- Monthly credit to cover the health plan of your choice
- Remote work
- Flexible hours
How To Apply
For more information follow this link
Please include your cover letter and resume in your application to be considered. Applications will be accepted until 3pm PT / 6pm ET on Wednesday, 15 September 2021
The Inclusive Capital Collective (ICC), incubated under Zebras Unite, is committed to creating a more diverse and inclusive workforce, building teams that represent a variety of backgrounds, perspectives and experiences. It is a fundamental policy at the ICC not to discriminate on any basis or characteristic. Everyone is welcome and encouraged to apply.