This position will be based in the London Head Office.
Created as a business solution to a social problem, The Big Issue was founded in 1991 to fight poverty by providing a legal way to earn money. Big Issue vendors buy The Big Issue magazine for £1.25 and sell it for £2.50, earning £1.25 for each copy that they sell.
Through The Big Issue Foundation, a registered charity, we support our vendors to take back control of their lives and overcome the problems poverty creates, such as the lack of somewhere safe and secure to live. And through our social investment arm, Big Issue Invest, we combat poverty in communities by investing in organisations that have a clear social mission, creating employment opportunities and supporting their work.
We are often looking for enthusiastic and committed individuals of varied skill sets to join us in all three organisations. Our head office is in Finsbury Park, our Editorial team is based in Glasgow, our Subscriptions team is based in Cardiff and we have smaller offices dotted across the UK to serve the people who come to us to earn their way out of poverty.
As a member of our staff, you will have full access to our online Learner Library, up to 3 days paid leave in a rolling year to care for a sick child or grandchild, up to 3 days paid leave to care for a sick or elderly relation, life cover, enhanced maternity and paternity pay, an enhanced contribution to your workplace pension and a healthcare scheme.
Strategy and Budget Planning
- Take ultimate overall responsibility for the development, delivery and monitoring of the financial strategy and budget plans for Big Issue companies
- Write business plans as required
- Advise on all new business ventures for the Group
- Develop decision-making tools, dashboards and reports to support the management team in effectively executing the Group’s strategy and business plans
- Develop and provide forecast models of the Group’s profits, cash flow and balance sheets as required
- Understands the regulatory environment and acts accordingly
- Act as the final arbiter on applications of professional standards to financial issues.
Senior Management Member
- Take collective responsibility with colleagues on key strategic issues pertinent to the achievement of our objectives
- Liaise with Big Issue Invest management team to support the establishment of open and trusted investor relations
- As a member of the Senior Management Team, help resolve issues of priorities and resource allocation and advise on the most effective use of capital for the Group
- Support TBI Group Board on matters relating to the capitalisation of the Group, and attend board meetings as required
Management of People and Processes
- Manage and develop the Finance team, setting priorities and objectives and offering support, help, motivation, guidance and training
- Ensure accounts and financial reports are produced accurately and on time
- Manage the relationship with the Group’s auditors and ensure recommendations are acted upon
- Manage the relationship with our insurance broker and ensure that all policies represent value for money and the Group has an adequate cover
- In conjunction with the Group HR Director, ensure that pay is processed correctly, including pension deductions
- Review and update internal Finance Department policies and procedures as required to ensure that they continue to meet business needs and reflect best practice.
As well as a salary commensurate with our sector, we are proud of our family-friendly staff benefits. We offer 3 days paid leave in a rolling year to care for a sick child or grandchild, 3 days paid leave in a rolling year to care for a sick or elderly relative, an incremental holiday scheme, life cover, a healthcare cash plan, access to an open learning library and other learning & development opportunities, an enhanced contribution into our workplace pension and a generous maternity package.
The Finance Director is responsible for the development and monitoring of our overall financial strategy and delivery. The role safeguards and provides financial information, analysis and advice to The Big Issue Group and boards.
The Finance Director is responsible for financial forecasting and reporting, including the annual accounts and returns to HMRC.
In particular, the Finance Director supports Big Issue Invest’s fund investment and advisory business and its relationships
with investors. The Finance Director also works in tandem with the HR Director to deliver required payroll, pension and insurance schemes
- Professionally fully qualified accountant
- Member of an accountancy body recognised by the IFAC
- Educated to degree level
- Excel expert
- Social enterprise experience
- Media business experience
- Experience of the SMCR, including SMF16 and 17
Interested candidates should visit https://thebigissue.livevacancies.co.uk/#/job/details/104
Jobs and job descriptions are not static, so your job description does not form part of your contract of employment. A job description cannot cover every issue or task that may arise. Your job will evolve over time or change in reaction to other changes, and you will be expected to carry out other duties from time to time. What The Big Issue asks you to do will not be unreasonable and will be broadly consistent with the tasks and responsibilities set out in this document