Gender Manager, Gender & Diversity Finance Team, Impact Group
Location: Johannesburg, Nairobi, Lagos, Cairo, Mumbai or Bangalore offices
- CDC is the UK’s development finance institution. Established in 1948 we invest in the most challenging markets of Africa and Asia with the aim of supporting economic development.
- CDC has net assets of £6.4bn and a portfolio of £4.7 billion. In 2019 we committed over £1.66 billion of capital to business in Africa and Asia and are now invested in 1,200 businesses which directly employ over 875,000 workers and support many more.
- CDC is a Public Limited Company and is wholly owned on behalf of the UK government by the Foreign, Commonwealth & Development Office (FCDO).
- In the last few years, we have expanded our presence in Africa and Asia by opening new offices in Bangladesh, Egypt, Kenya, Myanmar, Nepal, Nigeria and Pakistan with additional locations opening soon.
- At CDC, we take an entrepreneurial approach to investment. We think innovatively about ways to deploy our capital, attract and mobilise other investors, and drive transformational impact.
- Primarily, CDC invests through direct equity, direct debt and funds products to achieve impact and a financial return which is reinvested into more businesses. We aim to create jobs and accelerate economic prosperity and focus on sectors that will do this; manufacturing, food and agriculture, infrastructure, financial institutions, construction, health and education.
- CDC works with like-minded ambitious people who are primarily motivated by our mission to deliver impact. We are a growing team of over 485 and place immense value on diversity within our organisation.
- Read more about us on our website cdcgroup.com
Team and role overview
- We are seeking to hire maternity cover for our Gender Manager. The gender team provides expertise and resources to create both commercial and impact value to our deal teams, our portfolio companies, fund managers and key stakeholders, through the lens of gender equality.
- We sit within CDC’s Gender & Diversity Team (G&D) and are part of CDC’s wider Impact Group. This is a very exciting opportunity for someone keen to be involved in a high impact strategy for an institution which has significant influence and leverage to deliver Gender Equality (GE) impact through the investments CDC makes.
- You will report to the Gender Lead, based in London, and will be responsible for building and tracking CDC’s gender finance portfolio, overall management of the team’s support to transactions – both pre-and post-investment – as well as some line management responsibilities. The candidate will have proven technical expertise and proficiency in the field of gender lens investing, extensive transaction support experience, people management experience, and should bring with them credible and relevant networks.
Gender Team Structure
Reporting the Chief Impact Officer and ExCo member the Gender & Diversity Team sits within CDC’s Impact Group. Reporting to the Gender & Diversity Director the Gender Team consists of a Gender Lead, a Gender Manager, and two Gender Executives. The Gender and Diversity Director also leads our Africa Representation Lead.
CDC’s gender finance approach focusses on advancing women’s economic empowerment through our investing by incorporating consideration of women’s participation in our investee businesses (as business owners, leaders, workforce and consumers) as a material factor for our investment decision-making using the 2X framework. We also identify ways we can support our investees to promote gender balance and increased representation by women at all levels in the business in order to improve business performance and provide material benefits to women in our markets. More information about our approach can be found cdcgroup.com/en/our-approach/our-approach-to-impact/our-impact-specialisms/gender-equality
- Management of gender team’s input into transactions, across all sectors and product types. This includes:
- Overseeing the team’s pre-investment support, e.g. screening deals for gender impact, undertaking gender due diligence, agreeing gender targets and associated levers to drive change post-investment;
- managing the team’s post-investment capacity building, e.g. value creation work with investees, overall portfolio management, and lesson learning and case study development and dissemination.
- Oversight of 2X Challenge assessments and qualifications. Management of tracking 2X eligible / qualified deals across pipeline and portfolio, and associated reporting.
- Support to Gender Lead in executing the 2021-2022 workplan, with occasional deputised management of team where required.
- Contributing to execution of CDC’s current Gender Strategy including working closely with teams across CDC to ensure that CDC’s gender offering is fully embedded across all systems, governance documents, operating procedures; ensure effective roll out of key products developed by the team including those related to training and capacity building, tools; and manage internal;/external communications
- Co-chairing CDC’s SMART (Services, Manufacturing, Agriculture, Real Estate, and Technology) Funds Gender Working Group, an internal community driving forward gender-smart investing within the SMART Funds space.
- Provide regional expertise in Africa, and develop CDC’s thinking on how an Africa lens can be applied to CDC’s gender work
- Represent CDC at senior internal/external stakeholder engagements related to CDC’s gender work
- Active participation across several of CDC’s flagship market shaping gender initiatives and partnerships in the field
- People management responsibility
Background, skills, aptitude
The ideal candidate will have all or a good selection of the following:
- Proven record of delivering high performance gender equality impact in developing countries and emerging markets
- In-house experience in impact investing, development finance responsible investing, or private equity across investment products
- Direct transaction support, including pre-investment inputs (e.g. screening deals for gender impact, undertaking gender due-diligence, etc) and post-investment capacity building (e.g. value creation work with investees)
- Familiarity with different investment products, including Funds, Debt, Equity and alternative asset classes; as well as CDC’s priority sectors
- People management
- Project management
- Practical and results oriented with proven record of delivering effective and high impact solutions and change on the ground
- Excellent listening and facilitation skills and an ability to deliver impact across matrix-based organisations
- Credible networks in the gender lens investing/impact investing domain
- Leadership and project management skills with intrapreneurial spirit
- Public speaking, stakeholder engagement, relationship management
The ideal candidate will have all or a good selection of the following:
- Advanced degree or comparable experience in the domain of development impact/gender studies/social science or business
- Advanced MS office: Excel, PowerPoint, Word, SharePoint
- IFC Performance Standards, ILO conventions or similar
- MBA, CFA, ACA or similar
- Fluency in French, Arabic, Hindi or Bengali
Candidates should be strongly motivated by CDC’s development mission and ideally demonstrate some commitment to development or social goals through previous executive or non-executive activity.
Our cultural values
We look for team members who aspire, as we do, to work at our best and to be:
- Impact-led, commercially rigorous
- Tenacious in the face of challenges
- Collaborative and caring
CDC is committed to diversity and inclusion and welcomes all applicants regardless of age, disability, gender reassignment, marriage and civil partnership, pregnancy and maternity, race, religion or belief, sex, sexual orientation or educational background.
Location: We are also able to consider the role being based out of CDC’s Johannesburg, Nairobi, Lagos, Cairo, Mumbai or Bangalore offices
How to apply:
Apply through this link
Please provide a cover letter with your application