Accion – location negotiable
Accion is a global nonprofit committed to creating a financially inclusive world, with a pioneering legacy in microfinance and fintech impact investing. We catalyze financial service providers to deliver high-quality, affordable solutions at scale for the three billion people who are left out of – or poorly served by – the financial sector. For more than 50 years, Accion has helped tens of millions of people through its work with more than 110 partners in 50 countries. More at http://www.accion.org.
Accion Venture Lab is the world’s leading seed-stage investor in fintech for the underserved. Venture Lab invests capital in and provides support to innovative fintech startups that increase access to, improve the quality of, or reduce the cost of financial services for the underserved at scale. Since launching in 2012, Venture Lab has deployed over US$20 million across more than 40 startups that work in over 30 countries worldwide. Venture Lab has scaled its work in partnership with global financial services companies, foundations and development finance institutions.
Venture Lab is currently recruiting an HBCU Fellow to gain exposure to venture capital and impact investing while providing operational and business development support to the team. The successful candidate will have the opportunity to learn from live deals and existing portfolio companies. They will be expected to manage relationships across external stakeholders and keep this small, high-performing team running effectively.
The core and priority of the daily work is operational. However, the role will provide exposure to all aspects of Venture Lab’s work, including pipeline development, deal evaluation, portfolio monitoring and analytics, market and sector analysis, organizational development and support of the wider impact investing industry – all with a focus on innovation in financial inclusion. The position is part-time in a dynamic, hard-working team, and is well-suited to students who are looking to gain direct venture capital and impact investing experience by working with a leading global fund.
Portfolio Management & Investment Support:
- Coordinate with internal Accion departments and external partners including grant funders to fulfill reporting requests related to the Venture Lab portfolio and team activities
- Coordinate across Fund stakeholders including Limited Partners to support information requests
- Schedule LP Advisory Committee and Investment Committee meetings
- Perform market research as part of due diligence on new investment opportunities
- Participate in meetings related to investments and due diligence
Business Development and Marketing:
- Support Venture Lab’s external positioning and drive industry recognition, including development and circulation of marketing collateral, newsletter updates, blogs, tweets, etc.
- Provide support for event planning including content creation, venue selection and coordination, fundraising and attendee management
- Attend local events / conferences and share learnings back with the team
- Create material for industry presentations and reports
Knowledge Building and General Administration:
- Perform market deep dives to update the team and influence investment theses
- Support both internal Accion and Fund annual audit processes by coordinating with portfolio companies and internal stakeholders
- Coordinate across team to facilitate fluid operations
- Ability to commit minimum of 12 hours per week, fully-remote
- Currently enrolled in a historically black college or university (HBCU)
- Enrolled in undergraduate or graduate degree program, preferably in Business, Economics, Finance or a related field
- Demonstrated organizational skills, ability to prioritize workload, track assignments and provide support to colleagues
- Strong professional communication skills and ability to communicate ideas effectively
- Advanced computer skills with Microsoft Office Suite, especially Excel and PowerPoint
- Strong entrepreneurial spirit and a passion for entrepreneurship and market-based solutions to poverty.
Alignment with and embodiment of our team values:
- The Venture Lab team’s values define not just how we work with each other, but also how we work with our portfolio companies and with ourselves. We are curious seekers of new ideas, constantly trying to improve our work and gain insight to new ways of thinking. We strive for excellence, producing top-quality output and serving as a model for the industry. We are informed risk-takers, existing to go places where others don’t and not being afraid to make our perspectives known. We are human-driven, acting with respect, integrity and humility. We are supportive and collaborative, energized by working as a team and working to support the broader ecosystem.
- Venture Lab is a place for hard work – and for fun. We recognize the importance of what we do; we’re tackling some of the world’s biggest challenges, questioning the status quo, and addressing critical gaps. As pioneering seed stage fintech for inclusion investors, we have the ability to be catalytic – and we don’t take this lightly. We focus on team learning and reflection through deep dives and quarterly retreats, and our entrepreneurial environment builds autonomy and ownership, so that we’re empowered to make decisions and shape a nascent industry. At the same time, we ensure that we’re still laughing while doing it; whether at team happy hours, lunch and learns, or game nights, we energize each other both inside and outside of the office.
- Previous operational support experience from past internships/jobs
- Knowledge of financial inclusion and/or impact investing industry a plus
- Experience with digital marketing and social media
- Experience performing in-depth market research with primary and secondary sources
- Event planning experience
- Spanish language fluency a plus
Interested candidates should visit https://jobs-accion.icims.com/jobs/2094/hbcu-fellow%2c-venture-lab/job?