Head of Insights and Impact
Location: Nairobi, Kenya
About the Client
Our client is a USD $20Mn philanthropy backed fund that catalyses climate-resilient entrepreneurial solutions to measurably improve opportunities for women and girls across Africa.
A lot of progress has been made in supporting women and girls. However, they still struggle with accessing opportunities that improve the quality of their lives. Our client is a new gender smart fund that backs two kinds of systemic solutions;
The first is focused on increasing opportunities for women in the biggest sectoral employer in a country.The second is creating opportunities for women in the fastest growing sectors in the country.
In Kenya, their first market, they are investing in companies, organisations, ventures and female leaders with climate-resilient entrepreneurial solutions that measurably improve opportunities for girls and women in agriculture, which employs 52% of women, as well as technology and construction, sectors that are growing at 11% and 10% respectively.
The Head of Insights and Impact will lead all research, measurement, evaluation and reporting on how this fund improves opportunities for its stakeholders. This role requires a systemic approach that is: first, rooted in continuously listening to stakeholders, as well as thoughtfully incorporating their insights into our investment strategy and second, driven by sharing these insights to influence the broader ecosystem.
The Head of Insights and Impact needs to enjoy being in a start-up environment – working in a small and agile founding team and co-creating approaches with the Head of Portfolio and the Founding Director. This role requires leadership in a fast-paced, changing environment, executing quickly across a range of stakeholders, as well as thinking critically to add value and solve problems.
The Head of Insights and Impact is an integral part of the fund and will report to the Founding Director, as well as work collaboratively with the Head of Portfolio.
What You Will Accomplish
- A strategy that identifies and captures the depth and breadth of impact the client’s increased opportunities will catalyse for women and girls
- An insights framework to iteratively define and measure the impact of the client’s investments in social enterprises, start-ups, non-profits, individuals, established companies and local governments
- An agile research and development approach that offers the client’s implementing partners insights on how to better address the needs of women and girls
- A platform to pioneer a point of view around the frameworks, tools, and best practices that implementing partners can use to integrate insights into their design and due diligence process
- A business development strategy for building a strong network of peers in the impact measurement space
- Fund practices on gender lens climate-resilient insights and impact measurement
- Experimentation around data collection and analysis through new methodologies and tools
- External evaluations of impact metrics and methods used for gathering data
- Publication of insights and impact
- With the Head of Portfolio to track impact and adjust investment strategy based on insight findings
- With the Founding Director to share insights across the ecosystem
- With the Founding Director to influence the ecosystems and build practical tools that others can use in their work
- 10+ years impact measurement experience in research, measurement, and evaluation
- Proven strong analytical, evaluation design, and methodological skills that utilise “right-fit” methods for a broad range of quantitative and qualitative approaches to communicate rigorous and clear results
- Experience in survey methodology and monitoring social or environmental outcomes in the East African context
- Experience working within a start-up is a strong plus
- Experience working in East Africa with knowledge of the political, social and economic context of the region of work and the development issues and challenges it faces
- Ability to facilitate the process of turning impact data into meaningful strategies and stories for stakeholders
- Commitment to design thinking, agile methodology and utilising multiple practices and mind-sets of human-centred design
- Ability to plan and prioritise effectively: strong project / process management skills
- Intrinsically motivated to utilise impact data for research and development rather than progress reporting
- Team player, with exceptional interpersonal skills and the ability to influence and add value.
- Systems thinker
- Flexible and dynamic
- Resilience and grit
- Self-motivated, results driven, ability to deal with change
- Highly organised and structured, logical and lateral thinker
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills
- Follow-through; the motivation to ensure the highest standards of quality and productivity are consistently maintained
- Leadership style: management by example, always fostering a collaborative culture amongst all stakeholders
- Zero tolerance for corruption
Who Should Apply
- You want to be part of a founding team that is on a trajectory to work across Africa but right now does not even have a name
- You don’t look for a road map, you create it. Ambiguity makes you smile
- You want to build a team culture with values rooted in listening, humility, resilience, audacious goals and embracing failure
- You deeply value testing and iterating models. You wish you could efficiently and effectively understand the impact of each disbursement on its stakeholders
- You are happiest when you are in the field working with an investee or sharing insights with partners
- You already have authorization to work in Kenya
How to Apply
Apply through this link