London, United Kingdom
At M&G our vision is: to become the best loved and most successful savings and investment business and we’re looking for people who are excited about joining us on our journey. We’re digitally transforming and investing heavily in technology and innovation to develop new and improved customer propositions that really raise the bar for our customers. To help us achieve our vision we’re looking for exceptional people who live our values and behaviours and who can inspire others; embrace change; deliver results and keep it simple.
We know that an inclusive environment makes us more accessible and ensures we attract, engage, promote and retain exceptional people. We welcome applications from all individuals regardless of age, gender/gender identity, sexual orientation, ethnicity/nationality, disability, or military service and welcome those who have taken career breaks. We will consider flexible working arrangements or home working arrangements for any of our roles.
What You Can Expect From Us
We are committed to creating an environment where you can be exceptional at all you do. To help us deliver this, we promise to:
- Challenge Your Limits by creating a stimulating working environment and providing opportunities for you to be involved in meaningful and challenging work
- Support Your Aspirations with a commitment to learning and development that helps you achieve and build your experience with people who want you to succeed
- Value Your Input whereby leaders and managers will involve you in key decisions, listen to your thoughts and recognise the important contribution you make
- Balance Your Life through a work life partnership that focuses on making this an inclusive, diverse and friendly place to work and offers the flexibility and support that enables everyone to be at their best
How Do We Support Our Employees
All M&G plc employees will be supported in the workplace through our M&G Employee Assistance Programme (EAP). If you need counselling, confidential financial or legal advice. The service is available 24 hours a day, 365 days a year and offers access to qualified professionals who can provide specialist information, advice and support on many issues. It offers a broad range of services, including help with family issues, maintaining work/life balance and mental health support.
Catalyst – Impact Director
M&G plc is a global asset management, savings and insurance business, headquartered in the UK, with £367billion AUM.
The Group has leading capabilities in all areas of active fund management including Multi Asset, Public Debt and Private Assets, the latter being a significant strategic focus for the Group.
As part of this strategic development in Private Assets, the Catalyst team and Strategy has been created. With a team based in London, Singapore, New York and Mumbai, Catalyst will target innovative private asset opportunities, including enterprises tackling social and environmental challenges. The £5bn evergreen mandate has a global remit and has the flexibility to invest across private credit and equity, as well as real and financial assets.
Catalyst has a broad impact focus that flexibly encompasses ESG risk management through to positive impact for vulnerable groups. This is an important differentiator from our peer group that are solely focused on risk-adjusted returns or only one part of the ESG/impact spectrum.
In order to fulfil the core sustainability and impact objectives of the mandate Catalyst is seeking to hire an ‘Impact Director’ who will report directly to the Head of Catalyst and will lead the ESG and Impact focus within our investment activity, such as supporting ESG/Impact analysis on transactions and communicating these to stakeholders. The appointed individual will also support the team’s continuous development of its impact strategy and impact management approach including connecting with M&G’s broader initiatives in ESG, sustainability and impact investments.
- Facilitate defining and implementing Catalyst’s impact strategy and Theory of Change at a portfolio level and across its focus sectors, geographies and investment types
- Support the analysis and classification of new and existing investments, that Catalyst is making, under the IMP+ACT Classification Framework
- Overseeing the Design and management of Engagement and Impact plans for individual investments
- Engage with Catalyst’s borrowers and partners to monitor and manage financial and impact performance and support the continued success of the investment including taking governance roles where relevant.
- Support the Fund Management team with the portfolio level performance tracking and reporting across impact management and engagement
- Provide input to the Green Light Committee and Investment Committee to consider both the financial and impact case of each investment
- Help to build and enhance the Catalyst network within the global sustainability and impact investing communities as well as to source investment opportunities globally
Team Support for ESG/Impact
- Act as the point person for ESG/Impact within the Catalyst team and represent the team across relevant internal and external forums
- Support the continuous development of the team’s sustainability and impact strategy and the implementation thereof, including providing regular updates and training sessions
- Prepare Catalyst’s annual impact report and take the lead on communications to internal and external stakeholders on the ESG/Impact credentials at the portfolio and individual investment level.
- Assist with ensuring that Catalyst’s messaging and impact policies remain consistent with evolving market best practise
- Contribute to the team’s development by I providing input to team leadership, modelling inclusive behaviour, coaching more junior members of staff and improving ways of working across the team
- Work with other ESG/Impact areas across the business, including extensive collaboration with the Stewardship and Sustainability team
- Engage in thematic research – from time to time, undertake and / or contribute to thematic research on key social and environmental challenges
- A passion and demonstrable commitment to improving people’s lives, communities and the planet
- Extensive impact and/or sustainable investment management experience
- Proven broad and deep private asset investment experience across multiple strategies
- Track record of delivering investments across the end to end investment process including decision making on financial and impact cases
- Track record of originating investment opportunities in at least one of new markets, innovative assets or asset origination platforms
- Robust ESG and impact management experience across different types of asset classes, industries and geographies
- Experience building strong and trusted relationships and influencing stakeholders to effect change
- Experience of delivering impact in practice through employment or volunteering in a mission-led organisation, social enterprise or charity.
- Strong global networks within the sustainability and impact investment communities, arrangers and advisors
- Fluency in internationally recognised frameworks such as the Impact Management Project, Sustainable Development Goals and SASB Materiality Map.
- Experience of effectively contributing to investment committees and boards
- Experience managing people as well as leading and collaborating in teams.
Skills, Abilities And Attributes
- Possess a high level of personal integrity and a passion for achieving results
- A minimum requirement of an undergraduate degree from an accredited institution and at least 10 years of relevant work experience.
- CFA, IMC or equivalent qualification, including CFA ESG certificate, is desirable
- Strong oral and written communication skills; ability to present complex concepts to a wide range of audiences in a consultative, structured and solutions-focused manner.
- Exceptional relationship and interpersonal skills with the ability to manage stakeholders across all levels of the business
- Highly motivated self-starter that works with colleagues, and other teams in a collaborative manner. Builds and maintains credibility with all stakeholders including clients
- Outstanding leadership skills that seek out and bring in different and diverse perspectives
- Structured thinker with strong analytic discipline that can deal with complexity, ambiguity and uncertainty
- Innovative, creative and strategic approach to problem solving
- Able to work in a multi-cultural team based across a number of geographies.
- Ability to travel, including internationally
We live by four behaviours at M&G and we ask all our employees to:
- Inspire Others – Support and encourage each other, creating an environment where everyone can contribute and succeed
- Embrace Change – Be open to change, willing to be challenged and able to adapt quickly and imaginatively to new ideas
- Deliver Results – Focus on outcomes, set high standards and deliver with energy and determination
- Keep it Simple – Cut through complexity and bureaucracy, be clear and decisive and never overcomplicate things
To apply, click HERE