Role: Investment Manager – Tech4Impact
Location: Nairobi or West Africa based
About Bamboo Capital Partners
Bamboo Capital Partners (“Bamboo”) is an impact investing platform founded in 2007 by Jean–Philippe de Schrevel providing innovative financing solutions to catalyze lasting impact. Bamboo bridges the gap between seed and growth stage funding through a full suite of finance options – from debt to equity – which it activates unilaterally or through strategic partnerships. Bamboo aims to generate lasting impact and improve the lives of the world’s most marginalized communities while delivering strong financial returns. Since its inception, Bamboo has raised over $400m for developing countries, positively impacting over 184 million lives and supporting 45,000 jobs, including 15,900 jobs for women, through its investments in over 30 countries. The firm has a team of 30 professionals active across Europe, Latin America, Africa and Asia.
About the Role
Bamboo is currently looking for an Investment Manager for its Tech4Impact fund, joining our small team of highly qualified and dedicated professionals as soon as possible. The Investment Manager will report to the Fund Manager, will be based in our Kenya office, with frequent travels on the African continent.
The BLOC Smart Africa Fund, one of the 3 sub–funds of Tech4Impact, targets technology–enabled business models reaching underserved populations in Africa in the fields of education, healthcare, energy, agribusiness and finance.
The BLOC Smart Africa fund is the result of a partnership between Bamboo Capital Partners and Smart Africa, a network of 30 African states aiming at the creation of a single digital market on the African continent. Smart Africa has selected Bamboo Capital Partners to manage the BLOC Smart Africa fund, a venture capital fund focused on Africa with financing to be fully provided in the form of equity or quasi–equity investments. The fund will invest at seed stage, as well as at series A and B stages, and the investment ticket amounts should consequently range from USD 250,000 to USD 5m.
As part of his/her responsibilities, the Investment Manager will be in charge of the following:
– Source transactions for the fund in close coordination with the Fund Manager;
– Screen and appraise investment opportunities and where advisable, take responsibility for specific transactions as under the guidance and in close coordination with the Fund Manager;
– Take a lead role Pre–Due Diligence and Due Diligence activities for potential investments. This includes performing in–depth analysis of identified companies and projects (financial, business, strategic, and related socio–economic impacts), coordination of the information collection and the overall assessment process;
– Work as part of a small team to review and develop investment decisions based on detailed qualitative and quantitative analysis;
– Prepare and defend written investment recommendations for the Fund’s Risk and Investment Committees;
– Steer post–approval / pre–disbursement activities. Including preparation of pre–disbursement documents, conducting KYC/AML analysis and coordinate with BCPs Fund Administration;
– Steer/contribute to the activities of monitoring and investees investments until repayments/exits
– Steer valuation and audit process of investments for specific transactions;
– Build and maintain strong and productive relationships with clients, co-investors and partners;
– Participate and contribute to the respective internal meetings and engage in BCP related activities;
– Expand your knowledge through “on-the-job” learning activities;
– Coach junior staff members during the investment process;
– Provide pro-active and educated feedback to the team (downstream and upstream);
– Continuously contribute to improving workflows and other activities within specific fund as well as across BCP;
– Follow BCP’s procedures and policies.
Candidates should have the following profile:
– International Investment Manager experienced with entire investment process from origination to exit in equity and venture capitalism;
– MBA or equivalent with at least 5 years of work experience;
– Dynamic personality, self–starter, entrepreneurial, flexible, able to work with a high level of autonomy and in a challenging environment;
– Team player with emerging markets experience;
– Strong analytic, financial modeling, and structuring skills;
– Strong communication and negotiation skills;
– Long term and genuine interest in Impact Investments and motivated by Bamboo’s vision;
– Experience in transactions involving technology;
– Fluent in both French and English (written and spoken).
We offer an attractive compensation package as well as a dynamic working environment in a high–caliber team of motivated professionals.
How To Apply
Apply through this link