Who We Are
Rippleworks Foundation provides high-growth social ventures the practical support they need to improve more lives. Rippleworks’ programs directly support 200+ of the fastest growing, most impactful social ventures around the world, empowering entrepreneurial teams that are improving the lives of 216+ million people across 59 countries.
Projects: Leads short-term, high-impact projects where social ventures tackle their top operational challenges by working closely alongside leading startup executives from top Silicon Valley companies (including Airbnb, Netflix, Google).
Leaders Studio: Designs and delivers expert-led learning programs designed specifically for social venture leaders. Rippleworks partners with leading industry executives to run interactive, results-driven learning programs where social venture leaders gain the critical skills they need to deliver impact at scale.
Capital: Provides hard-to-find capital required for scale (grants and investments in the $1M-$3M range), and has distributed $40M+ to scaling social ventures since 2018.
We are a 25+ person team on a mission to help impactful ventures thrive. We strive to create the best possible workplace for purpose-driven professionals to make an outsized difference in the world: learning, growing, and having fun together along the way. Rippleworks has been named one of the World’s Most Innovative Companies (by Fast Company) and one of the world’s Best Workplaces for Innovators (by Fast Company and Accenture).
We are committed to improving diversity, equity, and inclusion at Rippleworks. Candidates from underrepresented minority groups (Black, Latinx, Native American or individuals with national origins from developing countries that reflect the communities we serve) are strongly encouraged to apply.
The Rippleworks Capital team is responsible for supporting the deployment of $30M in the form of PRIs and grants annually. The Portfolio Manager will play a critical role on the team to provide flexible funding to social enterprises, helping Rippleworks’ Capital actively scale and achieve more impact in the world.
As the Portfolio Manager, you will engage with key internal and external stakeholders including impact investors, entrepreneurs, investees/grantees and market-building organizations to develop a strong network of referral partners, with the goal of supporting our ventures in achieving their impact goals.
Initially you will focus on sourcing and monitoring the Rippleworks Capital portfolio to help ensure we are funding world-class social ventures. Eventually, you will independently lead deals, working across the full investment lifecycle of sourcing, due diligence, investment recommendations and monitoring.
Your responsibilities will also include collecting, analyzing, and synthesizing social impact data from the Rippleworks Capital portfolio. You will serve as a key learning resource for our team and the organizations that we work with to help surface trends across sectors, geographies, and organizational structures.
Specifically, you will:
- Support in the execution of Rippleworks’ venture-friendly process for making and monitoring investments
- Evaluate potential investment opportunities to ensure that Rippleworks invests in high-impact, scaling social ventures
- Develop and maintain strong and authentic relationships with aligned investors and other referral partners to source investment opportunities
- Monitor all investments to constantly inform and improve what we do
- Collect and analyze social impact data to inform learnings
- Business Insight: You are familiar with the social venture ecosystem and have experience working directly with a social impact portfolio. You have an entrepreneurial mindset.
- Collaboration: You are great at work cooperatively with others internally and externally to achieve shared objectives. You enjoy helping other teammates out when they are in need.
- Communication: You articulate your thoughts in a concise and engaging manner; you can distill complex thoughts and analysis into simple and concise written materials; you actively listen to gain full understanding of complex situations.
- Decision Quality: You are a strong critical thinker and make good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward. You are able to walk someone else through your thought process in a clear and concise way.
- Instilling Trust: You gain the confidence and trust of others through honesty, integrity, and authenticity, and you follow through on commitments. In both internal and external interactions, you are direct and truthful.
- Learning Agility: You are hungry to learn and have a commitment to continuous learning. You are willing to take risks and fail. You seek out feedback from others to help you along the way
- Managing Diverse Relationships: You are adept at interacting with CEOs, investors, and other actors in the social impact space.
- 6+ years of experience working in social impact with an established network of relationships; operational experience working with a portfolio of grants and/or investments
- Strong track record of building and maintaining authentic relationships with key stakeholders
- Demonstrated ability to evaluate organizations for specific criteria, such as social impact, business model viability, stage of growth, strength of team
- Strong verbal and written communication skills, including experience interacting with investors, executives, and entrepreneurs
- Strong organizational skills, including demonstrated ability monitoring a portfolio of grants and/or investments
- Track record of executing and delivering results
- Bachelor’s degree or equivalent work experience
- Authorized to work in the USA
What We Offer
- Don’t take a pay cut to do good in the world! We offer a competitive salary commensurate with experience, with competitive benefits: Medical, dental, vision, life, and short term + long term disability insurance, 401K + employer match, parking & commuter allowance, flexible PTO (non-accrued vacation), wellness/self-care stipends, Spotify premium accounts, and more
- Be inspired by meaningful work: You will see and feel the tangible impact of your work on a daily basis
- Travel the world: Everyone at Rippleworks has the opportunity for at least one international working trip a year to see our impact in the field. Our Study Abroad program funds personal learning experiences abroad for employees to better understand the different geographies, cultures, and sectors that we support. And we know travel can be tiring! Our No Place Like Home policy encourages employees to take a day off after Rippleworks-related travel to catch up on sleep, do some laundry, or spend some extra time with your family.
- Kickstart your lifelong journey of giving back: Through our Community Grants program, employees have the opportunity to give a $50K grant to a local community nonprofit doing meaningful work in an area that the employee is passionate about. We also provide a $2,500 charitable donation match for financial and volunteer hour contributions.
- A culture that values professional & personal growth: We provide an external professional coach for every team member who wants one and a learning budget to put towards professional development. We also hold monthly Lunch & Learns, monthly team-building, regular team celebrations (birthdays, milestones, anniversaries, holidays).
- A diverse and inclusive workplace that actively seeks and attracts people from different backgrounds, experiences, abilities, and perspectives
- A team of friends: We are a highly collaborative team that values learning together, recurring Slack jokes, and debating where to go to lunch (when we’re in person together!)