ID Ventures (IDV), one of the most active pre-seed and seed investors in the Great Lakes region, is seeking an experienced venture professional to join their investment team. The ideal candidate will play an important role on the team from day one with a career path that offers a future Managing Director opportunity. This is a fast-moving team that requires a passion for investing and building relationships across the entrepreneurial ecosystem. The right candidate will have responsibility for leading due diligence, fostering our technical/investing advisory board, and helping support our portfolio of over 100 active investments. The right candidate is dedicated to growing the Michigan startup and venture ecosystem
WHAT YOU’LL BE DOING:
- Touch all aspects of deal flow from sourcing new investment opportunities to investment execution.
- Screen entrepreneurs’ pitch decks and conduct screening calls with entrepreneurs
- Evaluate investment opportunities by evaluating team, analyzing market and financial data, develop capital modeling scenarios, and conduct due diligence calls.
- Present deals to management and our investment advisory committees for approval.
- Identify key risks for investment opportunities and existing portfolio. Work with entrepreneurs and community to reduce critical funding, scaling or operational challenges.
- Actively support entrepreneurs in the pre and post funding stages
- Develop a network of investor relationships with other venture capital funds to help build syndicates and for future funding rounds of our portfolio companies.
- Represent the team at events and in programs that help build the tech start-up ecosystem. Commit to and deliver ID Ventures’ message of inclusive investing – supporting women, minority and immigrant founders.
- Manage tracking of existing portfolio and investment metrics.
- Assist portfolio founders whose companies are moving toward later-Seed and Series A rounds with positioning their startups for competitive rounds.
- ‘Roll up the sleeves’ team member, helping with programming, reporting, and whatever needs to get done to drive our mission forward.
- Mentor junior members of team to develop investment acumen and portfolio management capabilities.
- Contributing to our goal of managing a fully sustainable evergreen fund, which includes assisting with fundraising and supporting our LPs.
THE IDEAL CANDIDATE (OR WHO WE ARE LOOKING FOR):
- Be primarily located in Michigan.
- Bring a unique set of skills, experiences, and knowledge to current team.
- Drive, evidence of ability to grow/learn quickly.
- Demonstrated venture investment experience including deal evaluation and deal execution, minimum of two years highly preferred
- Existing network of Seed, Series A & B investors for follow-on round syndication
- Operational experience at a start-up or in high-growth company, or equivalent entrepreneurial related experience
- Financial modeling and cap table analysis skills
- Demonstrated interest and/or passion for technology
- Desire to work with young and/or inexperienced entrepreneurs to help nurture future investment opportunities
- Enjoy networking and developing relationships across the start-up ecosystem including other investors, accelerators, service professionals, universities, etc.
- Core values include equitable access to capital.
- Strong analytical capabilities and pattern recognition. Quickly learn key metrics and market drivers for diverse industries.
- Intelligent, hard-working, team-minded individual that can deliver on the details but enjoys strategic thinking and building towards the future.
The title of this role can be at either the Associate or Principal level depending on previous experience. Salary range for an Associate is $80,000-115,000 and Principal $120,000-150,000.
Invest Detroit offers a competitive salary and benefits, commensurate with experience and skills. Invest Detroit is an equal opportunity employer committed to diversity in the workplace.