CrossBoundary is recruiting a full-time Deputy Head of Natural Capital to lead business development and transaction teams focused on unlocking private capital for nature-based solutions with climate and biodiversity impact. We are seeking candidates with experience across finance, strategy, and nature-based solutions (conservation, natural capital, forestry, agriculture, etc.) in emerging markets.
CrossBoundary is an investment firm. As Deputy Head of Natural Capital, you will manage a team of investment professionals tasked with originating and evaluating global investment opportunities, providing transaction advisory services, and supporting the establishment of new advisory services, products, and investment platforms. Experience working with a range of stakeholders (including private equity firms, Development Finance Institutions, and development agencies) to support investments in the natural capital sector will be regarded favorably.
The Deputy Head of Natural Capital will support global business development across the sector, building and maintaining a broad network, forming new strategic partnerships, producing thought leadership, and winning and executing new advisory engagements. They will support CrossBoundary’s country offices with natural capital-related pursuits, as well as lead new business development activities and partnerships with investors, corporates, foundations, NGOs, and donors such as USAID.
Who We Are
The CrossBoundary team is a unique group made up of people who are genuinely excited by the opportunity to make a difference in some of the most challenging yet exciting markets in the world. Team members come from diverse backgrounds, but share a number of qualities: curiosity, humility, integrity, a drive for excellence, and a bias for action.
Who You Are
- Self-starter who is passionate about creating lasting change in underserved markets
- Possess tangible grit, seek differentiation by intentionally taking self outside of comfort zone physically, culturally, and intellectually
- Comfort with ambiguity; ability to operate effectively through friction and opacity
- Enthusiastic about working, traveling, and living in a challenging environment
- Lead business development for Natural Capital investment advisory, pursuing new engagements with donors, investors, corporates, NGOs, and other clients
- Build and maintain relevant professional networks and strategic partnerships
- Represent CrossBoundary Natural Capital at external events, conferences, panels, etc.
- Lead identification and assessment of investment opportunities
- Prepare investment memorandums, financial models, and other presentations with business plans, explanation of management structure, competitive landscape, and financial projection to recommend strategies
- Advise on carbon project development and deal structuring
- Source investor and lead investor reach outs on behalf of companies’ management
- Manage numerous investor and donor relationships
- Develop and supervise valuation activities, detailed financial models with sensitivity analysis and stress testing to examine impacts on valuation, deal marketing presentations
- Oversee overall due diligence process and transaction execution, including drafting and negotiations of terms sheets
- Provide market assessment and ongoing market analysis including macroeconomic, regulatory, and operational assessments
- Provide sector analysis of priority areas for investment
The ideal candidate will have the following skills and qualifications:
- Bachelor’s degree required; MBA or another advanced degree strongly desired
- 5+ years of experience in investment banking, management consulting, private equity, or similar
- Experience in natural capital, conservation, forestry, agriculture, or another relevant sector
- Knowledge of carbon markets, with experience developing carbon projects strongly preferred
- Track record of successfully developing new business opportunities and strategic partnerships
- Experience living and/or working in developing countries
- Demonstrated management skills; leading teams to results in challenging circumstances
- Leadership skills; preferably in a fast-moving and entrepreneurial environments
- Strong financial services-focused quantitative skills and accounting fluency, to include corporate finance, company valuation, comprehension of debt and equity capital markets
- Excellent analytical ability and discipline; ability to think clearly, structure problems logically, and then design and implement solutions that focus on the core issues
- Ability to build strong relationships with partners and colleagues in challenging environments
- Excellent presentation skills; ability to communicate clearly and effectively with diverse audiences
- Experience working with a range of stakeholders (including private equity firms, Development Finance Institutions, and development agencies) to support investments in high impact sectors
Think you have what it takes, but not sure you check every box? If you’re passionate about what we’re building, we want to hear from you!
Location (frequent travel is expected)
- Flexible, with preference for Washington, DC; London; or Nairobi