YOUR POSITION WITH TNC
The Head, Sustainable Finance Advisory will create and lead a team supporting the identification, scoping, and development of financial solutions to support key conservation priorities at The Nature Conservancy that may not be easily addressable with traditional philanthropy or Nature Vest’s core impact investment offerings. The team will focus on designing financial solutions at a regional, country, or jurisdictional level, with a bias toward the early stages of project development. The Financial Advisory Team will sit centrally within Nature Vest with a direct reporting line to the Global Head of Impact Finance and markets.
The role of the Head, Sustainable Finance Advisory will be to pilot and build a new function within Nature Vest and Impact Finance and Markets Division. This function will bring capacity to support teams across the organization to create new markets and financing models that deliver outsized environmental impact, but may fall outside of Nature Vest’s existing impact investment mandate. The Financial Advisory Team will support TNC regional and global teams financial solutions for top conservation problems. The Head will be the first member of the team and will be responsible for piloting a ‘hub and spoke’ model, building central expertise and connect with regional or state based team members that focus on financial strategies for conservation. They will also immediately oversee the hiring of the second central team member and recommend a final central team size. This includes developing a scorecard for assessing the feasibility of market solutions to resolve priority conservation problems across TNC, developing financial solutions, and bringing in relevant internal and external stakeholders for implementation. They should have a strong vision and drive for helping TNC explore how to optimally harness the power of markets in service of conservation. The Head, Sustainable Finance Advisory will report to the Global Head of Impact Finance and Markets, with an additional reporting line to the Managing Director of Nature Vest. The team will be housed within Nature Vest and work closely with the other business units in the Division: Corporate Engagement and Carbon Markets.
RESPONSIBILITIES & SCOPE
• Works closely with TNC business units and regions to identify promising early-stage projects/initiatives in need of market-based support.
• Creates and drives forward workplans aimed at designing market interventions to conservation problems.
• Conducts financial analysis of projects, including cost and revenue flows.
• Oversees a team to be developed based on organizational need and capacity.
• Partners and coordinates work with other functions at TNC, including Policy, Corporate Engagement, and the broader Nature Vest team to vet early-stage projects to determine if they are candidates for support.
• Partners with diverse external stakeholders (e.g., local businesses, investors, governments).
• Facilitates knowledge sharing of market-based work across TNC’s global footprint, and uses lessons learned to refine work product, team resourcing, and strategies.
• Makes independent strategic decisions frequently based on analysis of ambiguous information, experience and context.
• May require frequent travel domestically and/or internationally.
• BA/BS degree and 12 years’ experience in a private sector environment, such as management consulting, corporate development, private equity, or investment banking, or in a markets-facing function with a leading conservation organization or government entity, or equivalent combination of education and experience.
• Experience with quantitative, analytic, and problem-solving skills..
• Experience designing, implementing, and directing complex or multiple projects of strategic importance, including managing finances, supervising multidisciplinary professionals and coordinating the work of partners while meeting deadlines.
• Supervisory experience, including motivating, leading, setting objectives and managing performance.
• Experience developing business plans or major strategy assessments particularly with conservation forms of valuation, deal structuring, negotiations support, financial modeling and analysis.
• Experience working with diverse, cross-functional teams.
• Experience communicating with and presenting to diverse audiences including donors, board members, employees, outside partners, or equivalent.
• Written and verbal fluency in English.
• Commitment to the mission and values of The Nature Conservancy, although no prior experience in environmental conservation is required.
• MBA or other relevant Masters degree preferred.
• Strong team player who can build relationships and work collaboratively across the organization and with Conservancy partners.
• Multi- lingual and multi-cultural or cross-cultural experience appreciated. Global experience preferred.
• Experience with international policy development.
• Makes decisions based on incomplete or ambiguous information and assesses/quantifies associated risks.
• Demonstrated experience and ability to build coalitions, work across silos, and create cross-functional teams.
• Experience in commercial contract negotiation.
• Experience in policy design and analysis.
• Experience in finance (cash flow modeling, capital structuring, raising of equity/debt capital, credit training).
• Demonstrated experience working in a startup, high growth, or other fluid/uncertain environment.
HOW TO APPLY
Click “submit” to apply for the position or “save for later” to create a draft application for future submission. Once submitted, applications cannot be revised or edited. Failure to complete required fields may result in your application being disqualified from consideration. If you experience technical issues, please refer to our applicant user guide or contact firstname.lastname@example.org.
All TNC staff based in the U.S. or a U.S. Territory are required to be fully vaccinated against COVID-19. Proof of receiving one of the vaccines approved in the U.S. (Pfizer, Moderna, or Johnson & Johnson) shall be condition of employment and must be provided prior to starting work. TNC is an Equal Opportunity Employer, and reasonable accommodations for candidates who cannot be vaccinated due to a valid medical or religious reason or claim an exemption under applicable state law will be considered.
Job Status: Open
Job Sectors: Deputy Head
Job Type: Full Time
Regions: Europe, North America
We're excited to share with you our guide on how to kickstart your career transition into the impact finance space. Click below to get your free guide. It's packed with over 50 pages of helpful content to get you started.