We are seeking a highly collaborative, data-driven individual to serve as an IMM Officer supporting BV’s impact investing activities, which range from concessionary to market-rate direct and fund investments. This is an exciting and rare opportunity to join a growing team of IMM professionals charged with building, operationalizing, and refining BV’s first-ever IMM system.
In this role, you will be responsible for providing hands-on strategic and technical support to investment and philanthropic teams. Your will create value for both staff and partners, including investees and other organizations working alongside us, by using IMM practices and principles to identify and address key questions about the impact of platform activities. IMM Officers will report to BV’s Director of Strategic Learning & Evaluation.
Key Roles & Responsibilities
For Individual Impact Investments
- Support investment team members and program staff to document impact theses and associated impact metrics for each investment, aligning with relevant portfolio-level impact metrics and learning questions whenever possible and feasible
- Collect, synthesize, and report on data for key investment-level impact metrics
- Facilitate the use of impact data to inform investment-level decisions, such as recommending opportunities to support investees and informing decisions related to follow-on funding
For Portfolios of Impact Investments
- Support the development and use of learning agendas to generate data and insights that drive strategy decisions and refinements
- When appropriate, identify opportunities for common impact metrics across investments that provide insights at the portfolio-level
- Recruit and manage external IMM Partners to conduct portfolio-level measurement, evaluation, and learning activities for BV’s impact areas
- Collaborate with other IMM staff when the need arises on the intersection of investment-level and grant-level IMM
- Support efforts to develop and refine BV’s IMM system over time, including the design and roll-out of new or updated IMM tools and resources
- Support office-wide learning and communication efforts, such as messaging around key impact data and supporting cross-sector and cross-team learning opportunities
- Keep abreast of standards, trends, and key events related to IMM to maintain an informed approach to measuring, evaluating, and learning from system change efforts
- Build and sustain relationships with colleagues across BV and the broader Walton ecosystem, as well as with other funders, investors, and key actors in relevant fields
- Author internal and external materials highlighting key impact data and learnings (e.g., infographics, data briefs, blog posts, articles, etc.)
- Design and deliver customized learning opportunities events between and among a range of BV staff and occasionally external partners
- Serve on internal committees, as appropriate
- Represent BV at conferences and other public events, including as speaker or panel participant, as opportunities arise
Please note this position description is not designed to cover or contain a comprehensive listing of activities, duties or responsibilities that are required of the candidate in this position. Duties, responsibilities, and activities may evolve or change over time as BV tweaks and iterates on its emerging IMM system.
Qualifications required for your success
The ideal candidate has a collaborative disposition; is self-driven; is a critical and creative thinker; is exceptionally well-organized; and, above all else, is committed to driving positive social and environmental change in the world.
- Master’s or advanced degree in economics, economic development, business, social entrepreneurship, statistics, social policy, or a related field
- 3+ years of professional experience working as an evaluator, policy professional, investment analyst, research analyst, or practitioner in field relevant to IMM and impact investing
- Solid grounding in standards, frameworks, and trends in IMM within the context of the impact investing field and across investment asset classes and maturity levels, including those related to environmental, social, and governance (ESG) reporting, as well as culturally relevant and equitable evaluation (CREE)
- Content expertise or experience with investment strategies focused sustainable agriculture, food systems, renewable energy, ocean health, animal welfare, and the arts
- Excellent qualitative and quantitative data collection and analysis methodologies
- Strong writer, with the ability to present data and findings in a clear and easily understandable way and to range of audiences (including Principals, Board members, partners, etc.) in a variety of formats
- Strong data visualization skills, including developing engaging infographics and dashboards
- Strong project management skills and able to coordinate activities across teams and external consultants
- Proven ability to work as part of a team and across multiple teams
- Ability to manage multiple projects simultaneously, effectively, and efficiently
- An effective communicator and listener with superb organizational and interpersonal skills
- Excellent group facilitation skills
- Candidates located near, or willing to move, to Chicago
- Basic familiarity with IMM practices, principles, and trends within the context of philanthropic initiatives
- Experience using Salesforce and Tableau
Personal attributes that support your success
- You are helpful, a team player, and show respect while collaborating with others
- You are results oriented and exercise sound judgment in your work
- Highly motivated, intellectually curious, adept at multi-tasking, and eager to work in a fast-paced, entrepreneurial environment
- You are dedicated to achieving excellence and work with others to tackle the tasks at hand
- A superior communicator who treats everyone with respect
- Unquestionable ethics and personal integrity
- Self-confident, collegial, and diplomatic
All offers of employment are contingent on verification of being fully vaccinated for COVID-19.
Builders Vision is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to building and maintaining a culturally diverse workplace. We encourage women, minorities, individuals with disabilities and veterans to apply. All qualified applicants will receive consideration for employment without regard to race, religion, color, national origin, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, age, veteran status, or any other status protected by the laws or regulations in the locations where we operate.