Accion Venture Lab is seeking a strategic and collaborative investment professional to lead our investment work in Africa. The Africa Investment Officer will support all aspects of Venture Lab’s work in Africa, including deal sourcing, investment analysis and diligence, transaction closing, and post-investment governance and support to portfolio companies. The role will be highly entrepreneurial, spanning emerging market venture investing and cutting edge fintech innovation, with a focus on social impact.
We are looking for a person to be based ideally in Lagos (we are also open to Nairobi). The Investment Officer will report to the Managing Partner of Venture Lab and will work closely with each member of the tightly knit Venture Lab team in various capacities, serving as a thought partner to other Investment Officers around the world and as a mentor to our Analysts and Associates.
The ideal candidate will have relevant experience working in Africa, ideally in venture capital investing, fintech, or impact investing more broadly. The candidate should have a demonstrated passion for social impact.
- Develop a strong pipeline of investment opportunities in Africa as well as build strong sourcing referral network and conduct thorough due diligence and financial analysis on prospective investees.
- Lead investment structuring, negotiation, documentation, and execution.
- Build and actively manage portfolio of investments, including representing Venture Lab on boards and providing management support to companies, including on (as applicable) finance and operating strategy, business development and lead generation, introductions/connections, fundraising support, and seeking opportunities to leverage Accion resources and expertise to benefit the investee.
- Build and manage relationships with global investors, entrepreneurs, service providers, and cross-Accion teams for deal sourcing, information/idea exchange, deal execution/co-investment, post-investment support, entrepreneurial ecosystem building, and other objectives.
- Support fundraising efforts for our next fund (AVL Fund II).
- Proactively develop knowledge resources and thought leadership, including preparation of documents on investment status and lessons learned for Limited Partners, Accion management/staff, and other Venture Lab stakeholders.
- Represent Venture Lab publicly at conferences, events, and working groups as needed.
- 5+ years of relevant experience in early-stage investing, financial services, technology, management consulting, investment banking, and/or marketing – opportunity provides responsibilities scaled to experience.
- Strong entrepreneurial spirit and a passion for entrepreneurship and tech-enabled solutions to poverty.
- Experience working in or with startups or growth-stage enterprises in emerging markets, ideally as an entrepreneur, manager and/or principal investor.
- Experience working and/or living in Africa.
- Domain expertise in financial services and/or financial inclusion, particularly financial technology, payment systems, and/or innovative delivery models.
- Multi-functional skill set across finance, operations, fundraising, strategy, and/or legal. Strong research and analysis skills, including financial and strategy analytics.
- Outstanding relationship management skills and ability to earn respect of Accion colleagues, investors, and enterprises. Existing network within impact investing and/or financial inclusion a plus.
- Exceptional written, communication and presentation skills, and comfortable moving seamlessly between boardroom and field.
- Bachelor’s degree required; MBA or similar advanced degree is a significant plus.
- French language fluency strongly preferred.
- Interested in our mission and working globally.
- Willingness to embody our values of excellence, respect, and passion for social change.
- Willingness to travel 30% or more (will be altered based on the status of pandemic-induced travel restrictions).