We’re looking for a remarkable person to join our team of ten. The position is a core senior role on our Fellows Program team. The Fellows team designs and delivers our Rainer Arnhold Fellows and Henry Arnhold Fellows programs.
WHAT WE DO
Mulago’s mission is to meet the basic needs of the poor. We do it by ﬁnding and funding organizations with scalable solutions in health, education, livelihoods, safety, and the environment. We search the world for founders with ideas that can go big, and the talent, ambition, and commitment to take them there. When we ﬁnd them, we do all that we can to help them take that solution to its full potential.
Here’s how it happens. We:
● Use our deep network to search yearly for ~20 Fellows with great ideas and real talent
● Teach them design for impact, strategy for scale, and core organization-building skills
● Transition the most promising organizations to our Portfolio
● Support them over time with money, advice and connections
● Leverage our funding with other funders
THE PRINCIPAL POSITION
We’re looking for an exceptional person to focus on our fellows. As part of the Fellows team, you’ll help evaluate, select and support our fellows (for-proﬁt and nonproﬁt). This entails 1:1 advising and mentoring, as well as a core role in the design and delivery of an (awesome) in-person workshop at the start and close of the fellowship. While you will lead and shepherd a subset of fellows relationships, this isn’t a “program oﬃcer” position. We don’t work that way. Our investments and the fellows programs are handled as a team, and there are no silos.
Speciﬁcally, you’ll play a central role in:
● Search for and selection of fellows
● Design and delivery of course and content
● 1:1 advising of fellows
● Subsequent funding decisions
● Connecting fellows to other funders and resources
● Travel for site visits (10-12 weeks annual travel, mostly in Africa and Asia)
Mulago’s future depends on the caliber of ideas and leaders we ﬁnd, and the quality of what we do for them. Here’s our wish list for expertise that would add a lot to the Fellows Program and Mulago:
● Communications: Design, strategy and communication are intertwined. We want to spend more time
helping fellows reﬁne their ideas through great comms and collateral.
● Behavior change: Every social sector organization is, at its core, a behavioral change organization –or at least it should be. Our fellows program goes deep on behavior.
● Impact measurement/M&E: Fellows need persuasive and increasingly rigorous evidence over time for their solutions. We push them on how to build the case for lasting change.
● Growth operations: Our fellows lead rapidly growing organizations. Direct experience building teams or leading expansion at a growing organization makes for great advice.
● Teaching/instructional design: To teach our fellows well, Mulago needs to understand how adults learn and how to design content that will help them achieve impact and scale goals.
WHO THRIVES AT MULAGO
You share our funding philosophy (How We Fund) and a bias for action over talk. You’re comfortable and ﬂexible with changes in course and circumstances. Humor comes easily to you as a way to relate to and interact with people. You can work hard and smart without a lot of supervision. You realize that your role as a funder is to support and serve the people doing the work. Travel, often in less-than-optimal conditions, is a big part of this job – you need to love it. The right person is entrepreneurial, thinks creatively, and would be eager to put his/her passport and rolodex (OK, iPhone) to good use in service of social impact at scale.
We are a small shop. We work continually with new ideas and new founders, so we’ve kept the spirit and energy of a mission-driven start-up. We do our work in teams, and we don’t waste time. Each of us has a core role, and everybody does a bit of everything. That’s worked really well for us for a long time. Our team has grown a lot in the past few years. We now ﬁnd ourselves in the privileged position of imagining an ideal candidate to complement the rest of us. That’s how we got to the wish list above. We’re also always looking to add diversity of background, thought, personal journey, and professional experience.
● 10+ years of very relevant experience (you make the case)
● Substantive time/experience in the settings where Mulago works
● Experience with and/or aptitude for teaching
● Some deep experience/aptitude in at least one of the areas we’re looking to up our game
(communications, behavior change, impact measurement, growth operations)
● We care more about what you can do than we do about degrees
Nice to have, not essential
● Relevant domain expertise
● A network of people we don’t already have.
The right candidate will be ready to commit to at least 3 years in this position. This is a full-time job based in San Francisco. We all (including this role) work at Mulago’s oﬃce on Russian Hill in San Francisco, with lots of telecommuting possible. We will not consider a remote hire.
The minimum salary for this role is $145,000.
Pay and beneﬁts are competitive, including medical, dental, vision, life, and short term + long term disability insurance, 401K + employer match, unlimited PTO, and more.
We are able to sponsor working visas.
If you’re interested, and feel you’re qualiﬁed, please send a resume and a brief statement as to why this job is a good ﬁt for you to email@example.com. Thanks!