The Program Associate is the organized and nimble backbone of our Programs team. This role directly supports our Africa co-CEO and Portfolio Manager helping to expand their capacity and ensure the operations and logistics of our grantmaking is run smoothly and efficiently. The Program Associate supports the execution of our grantmaking systems, organizes site visit travel logistics, and provides executive support to the Africa co-CEO. The Program Associate is the energetic, proactive self-starter who keeps our Programs team organized and ensures our grantmaking systems run efficiently.
The right person for this role truly believes in equitable funder-grantee partnerships that are built on the understanding that we are here to be equal partners. The Program Associate prioritizes listening and learning so we can come up with collaborative solutions to overcome the challenges our partners face as African Leaders. This role will help keep our Programs team focused and organized while they also contribute to the future strategy of AVFund. This is an exciting role for someone who is interested in growing with a team and taking on more responsibility over time.
What You’ll Do
Grantmaking & Portfolio Services Administration (50%)
● Support the execution of AVFund’s annual grantmaking process & systems, including data collection and organizing applicant data to inform the team’s decisions in how to filter and shortlist organizations;
○ Review grantee applications according to our grantmaking criteria and screen for completeness of application and alignment to basic criteria;
○ Manage communication with applicant organizations ensuring we center equity, solidarity and empathy in all communications;
● Support the process of annual organizational development funding requests, disbursements, and feedback loops/reporting mechanisms to enhance grantmaking support for our partners;
● Organizes all information, reporting and financial information about our grantee partners to ensure smooth and timely disbursement of all committed grants;
● Organize and manage all data on AVFund’s pipeline of previous applicants ensuring we have accurate and complete information for all organizations;
● Implement a robust portfolio management system that allows the AVFund team to keep track of each partner organization’s information, progress and areas of support and collaboration;
● Coordinate with Communications Coordinator to ensure all news & publications about our partners are tracked and available for our Comms & Marketing team;
● Coordinate with Strategic Partnerships Manager to ensure accurate and up-to-date information on our partners is readily available for introductions to prospective funders.
Internal Coordination & Communication (30%)
● Update and track Programs team work plans ensuring accurate & timely updates to project management software (ClickUp) and keeping track of all timelines;
● Coordinate with Admin Coordinator to support overall project and task management by ensuring systems & processes are documented & tracked;
● Assist Africa co-CEO with tracking priority topics and decisions for co-leadership calls and ensure agreements are recorded and actioned from weekly co-CEO calls;
● Email management, organization & prioritization for Africa co-CEO
● Manage Programs team Google Drive, ensuring items are filed correctly, permissions are appropriate, and all documents are up to date;
Office & Travel Logistics (20%)
● Manage the Africa Team’s travel logistics to partners, funders, and conferences. This includes scheduling meetings, itinerary creation, visa applications, accommodation, and transportation arrangements;
● Ensure the communication in our growing virtual cross-continent team is effective by supporting scheduling and helping everyone use relevant tech tools
● Coordinate the Africa co-CEO’s daily calendar, including scheduling internal and external meetings across multiple time zones;
● Support the Africa Team in organizing events, meetings, and workshops both virtual and inperson that are designed to enhance the visibility of AVFund and our portfolio partners;
● Support both co-CEO with general administrative tasks such as schedule & email management, project management & tracking, and general organization.
What You’ll Bring
● You possess strong project management skills with the ability to successfully handle multiple moving pieces ensuring nothing falls through the cracks.
● You have at least 4 years of work experience in project management or a role that requires strong organizational skills.
● You love systems, keeping things organized, and you are often known as a team member who excels at keeping things on track.
● You are a self-starter who is resourceful, has a high level of initiative and a strong ability to work independently.
● You love working in start-up environments, are highly agile, and are comfortable with creating results even when faced with ambiguity & changing contexts.
● You are well-organized and detail-oriented with the ability to prioritize individual tasks and projects as well as provide support to the co-CEO’s organization and project management.
● You have previous experience in planning timelines, creating checklists, coordinating between different parties involved in an activity, tracking progress of activities and making sure things get done on time with the expected quality.
● You have strong written communication skills with an eye for detail when taking notes, organizing tasks, etc.
You have previous experience in managing events or travel logistics for a team, ideally 1-2 years of professional experience with this type of work.
● You have a deep understanding of the realities of grassroot African social changemakers, their organizations and their role in development. Open and comfortable to work with organizations across different regions and across different sectors.
● You have a proven ability to create results effectively while adapting to a constantly evolving work environment.
● You have the ability to step into unique contexts, creatively troubleshoot and co-create impactful solutions with various stakeholders. One should be excited about getting their hands dirty!
● Strong cultural awareness to work in a very diverse work environment of teams across cultures and timezones.
● Familiarity with Google Suites, Slack, ClickUp and Salesforce a plus
● This is a Africa-based full time remote role of a minimum of 40 hours per week, preference for East Africa-based candidates.
● While there is some autonomy and flexibility of work schedule during the week, the typical hours for this role are 9am-5pm EAT, Monday-Friday.
● The role requires some travel for annual team planning retreats in East Africa or to assist with partner site visits, as needed.
● The starting salary for this position will be commensurate to experience, alongside such benefits as generous PTO and health insurance and retirement savings stipends.
● AVFund believes our team is better and stronger with a diversity of perspectives and experiences. We welcome applications from candidates historically underrepresented in the nonprofit sector, especially within the international development sector. AVFund is proud to be an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing employees with a work environment free of discrimination and harassment.
To apply for this position, please fill out this google form. Please be sure to answer all questions and attach your resume in the area provided at the bottom of the form. If you have any questions, please reach out to firstname.lastname@example.org. Applications will be considered on a rolling basis with the first set of interviews beginning the week of August 22nd 2022.
Job Status: Open
Job Sectors: Program Associate
Job Type: Full Time
We're excited to share with you our guide on how to kickstart your career transition into the impact finance space. Click below to get your free guide. It's packed with over 50 pages of helpful content to get you started.