Due to our continued growth, we are looking for a full-time professional to join our dynamic and growing organisation in Johannesburg or Cape Town, South Africa. The candidate selected for this role will be responsible for helping embed ESG and Impact considerations into client investment processes and decision making. This work will include strategy, policy and framework development, tailored management systems, systems implementation, capacity building and training, on-going performance monitoring and management, as well reporting. The candidate will also help to further our business development, including through the preparation of proposals, development of and management of clients, ongoing enhancement of the service offering, development of strategic partnerships and contribution to thought leadership.
The successful candidate will be required to liaise with a wide variety of stakeholders, both internally and externally, and it is essential that the candidate is passionate about working in this field, is outcomes-focused, collaborative and tenacious. The candidate must have a good understanding of the global and local financial sectors and investment contexts, in order to liaise confidently with investment professionals, understand and anticipate their needs, identify learning opportunities and manage risks. The candidate will also be required to lead engagement with companies (at both a client and underlying investee company level) to build their capacity and buy-in of these concepts. The candidate must be an effective communicator and project manager with a strong work ethic and a proactive, can-do attitude as the role is dynamic, and will require the management of multiple workstreams and priorities simultaneously.
The role will entail:
• Management of projects (including people management, financial management, client management, deliverable management and time management) with appropriate support from senior colleagues and directors
• Active contributor to a team supporting clients in the development and embedding of their strategic ESG and Impact goals and objectives
• Developing and strengthening effective working relationships with clients and other stakeholders in the industry
• Contributing to the design, implementation, analysis and reporting on evaluation and impact research
• Contributing to the design and implementation of measurement frameworks and logic models
• Contributing to the design and implementation of measurement and evaluation plans that consider both outputs and outcomes
• Contributing to the design and implementation of practical tools to support clients in integrating ESG and Impact into their work
• Managing, coordinating, and executing the collection of ESG and Impact data, providing support for timely, accurate, and consistent reporting
• Working with clients and team members to develop new and innovative frameworks, approaches and methodologies to embed ESG and Impact into client day to day business, investment processes and decision making
• Supporting cross-learning and collaboration on ESG and impact between different areas of the business
• Pursuing formal and informal education and professional development opportunities (supported by IBIS) to continually develop skills, and to stay abreast of emerging trends and developments in the ESG and Impact fields
• Helping develop the team, and shape the team’s goals and strategy, and actively supporting the growth of the Systems and Strategy and Impact service offering
• An ability to analyse and interpret technical information to understand and articulate potential ESG and Impact risks and opportunities and commercial implications for a business and to be able to propose pragmatic solutions to mitigate / enhance these.
• A passion for sustainability and driving value through improved environmental and social performance and impact.
• An entrepreneurial spirit with an ability to spot and contribute to turning larger market trends into opportunities for clients and IBIS.
• Skills to supervise project team(s), coach and mentor junior staff.
• Excellent people skills, being able to engage and foster relationships across geographies and cultures.
• Excellent attention to detail and a focus on high quality outputs.
• An excellent grasp of the English language (including writing). A second language of relevance to the geographies in which we operate (emerging markets including Africa, Asia and Latin America, as well as French) would also be viewed favourably.
Qualifications and Experience:
• An academic background in Environmental Science, Social Science, Finance or Economics will be favourably considered, although consideration will be given to candidates with a broad range of qualifications if their experience is appropriate
• More than 8 years’ experience working in the field of Sustainability / ESG / Impact / Sustainable Finance, with good understanding of the financial sector (particularly alternative / private markets)
• Familiarity with the ESG / Impact landscape and global developments / best practice in these evolving fields.
• Experience working with complex data sets (defining indicators, gathering, consolidating and verifying data, and using data for reporting) – experience working with online database / analytics software (e.g., Microsoft BI, SharePoint, advanced Microsoft Excel modelling) will be viewed favourably.
• Strong quantitative and qualitative research skills, and an aptitude for critical thinking and complex problem solving.
• Excellent written and oral communications skills, including the ability to quickly research, synthesize, and summarize critical findings on unfamiliar topics.
• Design experience with Adobe, PowerPoint and other similar programs a plus. And in return we offer a competitive salary, career progression and an opportunity to be part of a people-focused, dynamic and growing organisation.
And in return we offer a competitive salary, career progression and an opportunity to be part
of a people-focused, dynamic and growing organisation.
Job Status: Open
Job Sectors: Senior Consultant
Job Type: Full Time
We're excited to share with you our guide on how to kickstart your career transition into the impact finance space. Click below to get your free guide. It's packed with over 50 pages of helpful content to get you started.