Avivar Capital is seeking mission-aligned interns with demonstrated experience or interest in impact investing. The firm is deeply committed to building the field of impact investing by cultivating a diverse next generation of impact investing professionals that represent the communities we serve. We have a particular focus on recruiting diverse candidates to join the firm as Summer Associates and Analysts who, in some cases, stay on as interns throughout their remaining academic school year.
Interns support the team across the spectrum of Avivar’s work including but not limited to:
- Impact investment portfolio management including diligence, monitoring and reporting;
- Researching and assessing opportunities for impact investing and expanded SRI/ESG and shareholder engagement strategies within client priority thematic interests and geographies; and
- A range of special projects to improve Avivar’s internal processes and procedures, data management capabilities, and/or marketing and communications efforts.
Sample Duties and Responsibilities could include any of the following based on experience, interest, and firm need:
- Support impact investment due diligence on U.S. direct debt and equity as well as fund investments
- Analyze direct debt and equity as well as fund investment agreements to determine financial and social impact reporting requirements
- Complete individual investment and portfolio level analysis for client impact investment portfolio monitoring and reporting including identifying red flags and follow up questions
- Assure that all investment files are current and complete; obtain reports or documentation needed to perfect files
- Assist in analyzing firm due diligence and portfolio monitoring protocols across asset classes, and make recommendations for better integrating these as a coherent system
- Conduct research on current impact investing activities, investors and capacity building services within client priority markets
- Conduct sector specific, geographic specific and market trend research
- Identify impact investing gaps and challenges that offer the opportunity for additional investment in existing and/or new strategies
- Alignment with Avivar Capital’s vision and values
- Currently working on or completed an MBA or master’s degree in a related field (business, law, economics, international development, etc.)
- Minimum 1-3 years of work experience, preferably in U.S. finance, consulting, accounting, law or a related field
- Exceptional attention to detail and organizational skills
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to multi-task and prioritize projects as well as complete assignments timely and accurately
- Self-starter with the ability to work independently with little oversight
- Team player with positive attitude and ability to collaborate effectively
- Highly proficient in Excel, PowerPoint, and Word
What We Offer
In addition to engaging with Avivar’s clients, interns will have an opportunity to network with industry thought leaders via the firm’s speaker series, enabling enhanced learning on a range of approaches to impact investing. The summer internship program will launch in June 2022 and will be run remotely. All interns will report to designated Avivar Managing Partners, as well as other Avivar staff for specific assignments. Avivar will also consider academic year internships in the Spring.
Avivar Capital is deeply committed to building the field of impact investing by cultivating a diverse and inclusive next generation of impact investing professionals that represent the communities we serve. We believe that diversity and inclusion among our teammates is critical to our success as a company, and we seek to recruit, develop and retain the most talented people from a diverse candidate pool.