Manager, Impact Investment
The Manager, Impact Investment is a member of the Rockefeller Foundation’s Innovative Finance (IF) team. The IF team seeks to identify, structure, invest in and promote program-related investments (PRIs) and grants which (i) support and align with the Foundation’s objectives and goals, and/or (ii) offer innovative financing mechanisms to a broad spectrum of investors that have the potential to catalyze significant capital inflows to impact opportunities.The Manager responsibilities fall mainly within the following areas: (i) taking leadership role in managing the Zero Gap Fund (ZGF), an impact investment fund managed by the IF team, including making recommendations on investment strategy and portfolio management handling day-to-day fund activities and best positioning the fund to deliver on its performance and impact objectives; (ii) participating on assigned action teams for the Foundation’s priority program initiatives and contributing to the design and strategy execution for such initiatives; (iii) sourcing, evaluating, executing and managing specific PRI transactions and grants tied either to the Foundation’s program initiatives or ZGF; and (iv) working proactively with portfolio investees, investors and other stakeholders to achieve scaling and impact goals as well as to inform the PRI selection process and promote PRIs that have the potential to catalyze significant capital inflows and realize high-impact outcomes.
- Take leadership role in overseeing ZGF, including (i) making recommendations on investment strategy and portfolio management; (ii) handling day-to-day fund activities. including pipeline selection, portfolio construction, investment structuring, legal negotiations, portfolio monitoring and reporting; and (iii) best positioning the fund to deliver on its performance and impact objectives through effective deployment of the fund’s remaining capital and value-added portfolio management activities.
- Participating on assigned action teams for the Foundation’s priority program initiatives and contributing to the design and strategy execution for such initiatives. Most of the Manager’s time is expected to be devoted to the Foundation’s initiatives for energy and innovation/innovative finance.
- Sourcing, evaluating, executing and managing specific PRI transactions and grants.
- Structuring and promoting PRIs that can drive significant capital flows to the asset class.
- Working closely with investees to identify potential ways to support their growth and success.
- Identifying new trends and developments across the field of innovative finance.
- Providing organizational support to the IF team, including budget and cash flow management for PRIs, preparation of written narratives and analyses of the Foundation’s work, and coordinating events and outreach, as needed.
- Transactional Experience: Previous investment experience; sound investment judgement; strong financial structuring and analytical skills; deal due diligence expertise; ability to negotiate deal terms.
- Decision Making Skills: Strong project management skills; ability to evaluate risks and opportunities and make investment recommendations; ability to take initiative and drive for results.
- Portfolio Construction Expertise: Ability to make investment recommendations based on an assessment of investment rationale, portfolio fit considerations, impact, and risk/return analyses.
- Social Impact Commitment: Strong commitment to assessing and investing to achieve social impact.
- Communication and Teamwork: Excellent interpersonal abilities and communication skills; ability to present ideas cogently; team-oriented approach.
- Flexibility: Collaborative working style; comfort working with uncertainty and accelerating project development when needed.
- Diversity, Equity and Inclusion: You are committed to the mission of the Foundation, to inclusion, equity and diversity in every aspect of your work, and to challenging conventional wisdom through evidence, reason, and amplifying dissenting, unconventional, and marginalized voices.
Education, Experience and Skills
- Undergraduate or Master’s/advanced degree in finance or economics, or equivalent work experience.
- Minimum of 8-10 years professional experience.
- Experience sourcing, structuring, negotiating and executing impact-driven investments.
- Strong analytical and transaction due diligence skills.
- Ability to negotiate complex legal documentation.
- Entrepreneurial mindset to spot opportunities and initiate action.
- Strategic mindset to spot critical issues and recommend creative solutions.
- Knowledge of and broad curiosity about issues that the Foundation seeks to positively impact.
- Ability to multi-task; comfort with a changing work environment.
- Excellent communication skills, both oral and written.
- Interest in and sensitivity to working with and in diverse cultures; team-oriented approach.
- Foreign languages a plus, but not necessary.
About The Rockefeller Foundation
As an organization, we focus on six values to advance our culture and to continue our success. We are dedicated to being Transparent, Optimistic, Accountable, Collaborative, Trusted and Equitable. We operate from a strong commitment to equity, diversity and inclusion in everything that we do. It’s not only the right thing to do – we couldn’t make an impact without the diverse perspectives and experiences of our team members. We expect all employees at the Foundation to contribute by developing their unique perspective and talent, and to challenge conventional wisdom through evidence and reason, and by amplifying marginalized voices.
The Rockefeller Foundation is committed to the principles of equal employment opportunity and to compliance with all federal, state, and local laws concerning employment discrimination, including the Americans with Disabilities Act. To this end, the Foundation ensures equal opportunity to all employees and applicants regardless of race, color, age, gender, sexual orientation, religion, marital status, national origin or ancestry, citizenship, lawful alien status, physical, mental, and medical disability, veteran status or liability for service in the United States Armed Forces.
The Rockefeller Foundation is an Equal Opportunity Employer.
How To Apply
Apply through this link